My Blog List

Monday, August 29, 2011

The lokpal bill.. Life before n after it

For days the channels were covering Anna hazare and the nation's fight against corruption.. It was really great to see everyone supporting he cause.. Everyone has been in one way or the other affected by corruption.. I was and have.. It was really late in my life though.. Thanks to 'NOC' all the Pune'ites would know what I am talking about.. Anyways a 100 ruppee note would let me off!! I used to get loose with just rs. 100/- for what?? For not payin the taxes for using the state's infrastructure!!! Now there are 2 ways to looking at this .. And before I start let me just clarify that I am not trying justify my act here I am just putting a different perspective out there to view.. So many of us have been caught using mobile phones while driving.. Breaking one way.. For parking in no-parking.. And some of u for drinking and driving and all of us have tired to get out of by paying the cops.. Now is that a real threat to the society?? Drinking and driving yes, it is even if you pay or don't pay.. The first time it struck me, a simple question, what and who are we fighting against here?? Is it against the hawaldar, who earns probably less that what many of us spend on pastas and macaronni a month.. Who let's you off for a mere 100 bucks.. Or is it that the guy who eats into the taxes we pay and tolls that we pay and those on whom we put our trust during election?? Yeah I know the obvious answer here.. I am in no way justifying the hawaldar here but I guess when u know the road tax you pay for letting you drive a kerala registration vehicle here in Maharashtra doesn't actually go into makin the roads better.. Please it doesn't just drive from Marol to chakala you will have back massaged by the seat back a hundred times if not more.. So we may also feel that if you let this go by just bribing the cop and getting away with it?? It is definitely the easiest way to resolve the situation.. Precisely the reason why we chose what we did in the first place.. The sad or harsh part of that will be that this too got to end if we need to bring about the change everyone in ramleela maidan and all those including me supports and thrived for and lastly the man 'Anna' starved for.. It always comes down to choice of the individual and it was here we lost to temptation and succumbed to the pressure and bribed.. Tomorrow these situations will again act up and force us to at least look the other way or turn a blind eye.. But something we should not forget is the choice that we have to do the right thing and like those grandma stories we heard when we were children which always had an underlying moral - 'the right path will always be hard but rewarding and the wrong path will always try to lure you in but the end is fatal..' may be I will have to go all the way to Bombay court or appear before the RTO, may be I will have to waste a galon of petrol driving all the way.. But I will not pay the hawaldar.. Now that brings me back to the tricky situation!! Salary of these govt. Servants is it even compensating for the inflation?? Is it enough for their children's education?? Now is it wrong if you look at it this way?? We might suggest pay hike will it make them happy, actually not! Like we all know where the law of marginal utility fails? Money is never enough for anyone.. So it again boils down to 'choice' but this time it is the govt. servant's choice.. We can force him to take that right choice or we can wait for him to take that right choice.. Just like Anna waited for congress to take the right decision when it was running like a head less zombie trying to scare us but was actually making us laugh at that sight. It's just my take.. And I have made my choice.. Have you??

No comments:

Post a Comment